Neo-Hippie Ramblings - I'm a Non-Conformist Just Like All My Friends: Finally Got the Christmas Tree Up

Friday, December 09, 2005

Finally Got the Christmas Tree Up

Maybe it's just because the kids are so young, but I seem to remember decorating the tree being something of a bigger deal when my siblings and I were growing up. Our five-year-old was somewhat interested in helping, but mostly just fought another skirmish in the ongoing Spy-vs-Spy drama that dominates her relationship with her younger sister.

And on the subject of pointless skirmishes, the whole 'Merry Christmas' vs 'Happy Holidays' thing is extraordinarily stupid. There's been a lot of discussion on Bring It On, so I'm not going to regurgitate that here. The guest post today from Matthew61 is really good, check it out.

Unless you feel that the 'Christmas Spirit' is about the need to dominate a 'my god is bigger than your god' argument, it would all seem to be rather silly. "I came here to buy a [cheap plastic toy] assembled by a Chinese prison laborer or eight-year-old child in Malaysia (pick one) for my spoiled, over-privileged kid, and you'd better acknowledge that this holiday is about Jesus Christ, or else!" I'm not sure if that's funny or sad. It's definitely ironic, though.

0 Old Comments: