Neo-Hippie Ramblings - I'm a Non-Conformist Just Like All My Friends: Sick kids

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Sick kids

I was home with the girls Friday because they had some kind of nasty bug that is going around. Only lasts about 24-48 hours, but it just totally incapacitates you.

We were seriously considering taking our 2 year old into the ER Thursday night because she was thirsty and begging for water, but every time we gave her anything it came back up within 5 minutes. After the first 5-6 times it was just clear foam bubbles. We were eventually able to give her teaspoons of Gatorade at ten minute intervals and have her keep it down. Thank god.

Our older daughter only puked once Friday, but she's had the runs ever since. There's nothing worse than having sick kids.

I was talking with some family members prior to my grandmother's funeral last weekend, and it turns out that one of my great uncles died in the Great Influenza Epidemic of 1918. My great grandfather realized that his son wasn't going to last the night, so he sent my great aunt to bed and stayed with the little boy while he died. I can't imagine what it'd be like to watch a child slip away like that and know there was nothing you could do about it.

Anyway, my karmic reward for taking care of the girls was to wakeup this morning at 5 am violently ill and spend most of the day on the sofa too sick and worn out to move. I seem to have kicked it now, though, except for a general feeling of lethargy and a hangover-type headache. (That might just be because I haven't had my normal 60-80 oz of coffee today, though.)

0 Old Comments: