Neo-Hippie Ramblings - I'm a Non-Conformist Just Like All My Friends: Freeing molesters to make room for dealers

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Freeing molesters to make room for dealers

Unless you've been totally unplugged for the past few weeks, you've heard about Dean Arthur Schwartzmiller, the sick fuck who claims to have molested children about 36,000 times since the 70s. Over the years, he's been arrested for such crimes 9 times and convicted four times, serving a grand total of 12 years in prison -- with three of the four sentences amounting to 3 years or less apiece.

12 years in prison is a long time, relatively speaking, but it's a slap on the wrist for the offenses in question. I can think of a few more fitting punishments, all rather gruesome. (The most humane that I could suggest in good conscience would be castration as a mandatory condition of parole.)

Watching that creepy, grinning monster saunter into the courtroom made me wonder what an equivalent sentence for a drug crime might be. Here's a top result that I Googled up for '12 year sentence drug possession': Anthony Papa. Served 12 years of a 15 year minimum for cocaine possession. Granted, 4.5 oz is a lot of blow, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Papa wasn't holding kids down and forcing it up their noses.

If you want to know why someone like Schwartzmiller gets paroled over and over, look no further than the mandatory minimum sentence. Why is it that drug charges carry mandatory minimum sentences, but child rape convictions do not? Hell if I know. But if you have a registered sex offender living within a quarter-mile of your family, like I do, you might consider taking it upon yourself to ask.

0 Old Comments: