Neo-Hippie Ramblings - I'm a Non-Conformist Just Like All My Friends: A shortcut for creating Technorati tags

Monday, October 24, 2005

A shortcut for creating Technorati tags

Something practical for a change: A simple formula for creating Technorati tags automatically in MS Excel.

I can only speak for myself, but I tend to use Technorati tags less than I would otherwise, simply because they're kind of a pain in the ass to string together. To get around this, I just wrote a Microsoft Excel formula that will generate a valid Technorati tag from a text string.

=CONCATENATE("<a href=""http://technorati.com/",(SUBSTITUTE(A1, " ", "+")), """"," tag=""ref"">",A1, "</a>"))

To use the formula, do this:

  1. Open a blank Excel workbook and paste the formula into cell B1.

  2. Copy the cell you pasted the formula into, select the entire column B and paste the formula into the column.

  3. Type each tag into its own cell in column A.



To use the tags, just copy the populated cells from column B into your html editor. If you're a scatterbrain like me, you might also want to protect column B so you don't inadvertently delete the formulas.

Your spreadsheet should end up looking something like this:



Don't say I never gave you anything. ;)

0 Old Comments: